Chiropractic for Back Pain
Pain of any kind is your body's way of signaling you that something isn't right. However, most of us ignore the message by taking a pill to relieve our pain. This is essentially the same as removing a battery from a smoke detector!
Back pain is particularly common in the U.S., with over 80% of the population suffering from some sort of lower back injury or nerve pain in their back.
Two Common Back Pain Causes
The joints on the back side of each spinal bone are full of nerves. If you are feeling nerve pain in your back it is a sign that these joints are not moving properly.
If your joints feel ok, but you are still experiencing back pain, it may be the discs between your spinal bones. Lower back injury, like a fall or car accident, can cause the soft material of your discs to bulge and put unnecessary pressure on the nearby nerves.
Your Back Pain Relief Options
Chiropractic has helped many people with back pain in a safe and natural way. However, some other options
- Bed rest: Can provide some immediate relief, but will not eliminate the problem
- Therapy: Can actually cause stress on the malfunctioning joints
- Medicine: As we mentioned, just numbs the pain but doesn't eliminate it
- Surgery: Can cause the need for repeat surgery later on. Consider this a last resort.
The Chiropractic Approach for Back Pain
Chiropractic adjustments help to improve spinal function. Chiropractic care helps to restore the way your spine works which allows your discs and soft tissues to heal and your nerve pain to reduce.
If you don’t have a chiropractor, we’d love to be yours. Schedule a consultation today.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Isn’t some back pain normal?
- Back pain is common, but not normal. Pain of any kind is a signal that something isn't right. Because our bodies have the ability to adapt to pain, we tend to ignore it. While minor pain may go away it is still a signal of an underlying problem, and should not be ignored.
- What about using muscle relaxers?
- Any type of drug for pain relief is simply masking the pain without eliminating it. Chiropractic is a natural health care method. If your pain is extreme, you can use ice to numb it a bit without risks associated with pain medication.
- How does chiropractic care work?
- Chiropractic taps into your bodies ability to heal itself. A cut on your arm does not magically go away. Your body heals it through a series of signals from your nervous system. These signals cannot flow through your body properly if your spine is misaligned, consider it an interference. Specific spinal adjustments are designed to improve mind/body communications. Health often returns with improved nervous system control of the body.
- Is chiropractic covered by insurance?
- Most insurance policies provide some coverage of chiropractic care. Give us a call to see if we take your insurance, or to see which of our affordable care plans is right for you.