Chiropractic for ADHD
ADHD is a neurological disorder and chiropractic care specializes in reducing nervous system disturbances. Many parents looking for a natural, drug-free solution for their child have found chiropractic care to be helpful in treating ADHD.
Common ADHD Symptoms
There are classic ADHD signs that parents and teachers identify:
- Inattention, hyperactivity and being easily distracted
- Difficulty concentrating and sitting still
- Inability to control impulsive thoughts and behaviors
- Easily distracted by noises and activities
- Constant motion—fingers, hands, arms, feet or legs
What to do
Before giving your child medication, begin with nutritional and lifestyle modifications. Rule out certain environmental factors by reducing your child's exposure to substances that are becoming more and more common:
- Eliminate food dyes, preservatives, and additives from your child's diet.
- Increase natural, organic foods without pesticides or herbicides.
- Determine if an allergy such as dairy or gluten is involved, and if so eliminate it from their diet.
- Remove all sugars and artificial sweeteners from your child's diet.
- Reduce the use of cleaning agents, detergents, fabric softeners and other chemicals.
ADHD or not these are choices that will ultimately benefit your child.
Traditional ADHD Treatment
A common approach to treating ADHD symptoms is to administer regular doses of methylphenidate. More commonly known as Ritalin®.
Ritalin® is a controlled substance that produces similar effects as amphetamines and cocaine. The side effects, including personality changes and permanent changes to the brain, cause most parents to seek alternative ADHD treatment.
Chiropractic: Safe and Natural ADHD Treatment
Chiropractors don't treat hyperactivity, we look for disturbances to your child's nervous system. We typically find problems caused by spinal distortions in the upper neck.
In fact, the link between the spine, brain stem dysfunction, and ADHD is common. A thorough chiropractic examination can reveal noticeable spinal distortion, or even a reversal of the normal neck curve. This is why we often recommend regular treatment with safe and drug-free adjustments to help reduce accompanying nervous system tension.
Find Out More
As parents, we want the best for our children. If your child exhibits the symptoms of ADHD, you know it affects virtually everyone your child is in contact with. As you consider your options, consider a thorough chiropractic evaluation.